Sunday, May 10, 2015

First Post for EDU 652

Hello all!  This is my third or fourth attempt at blogging.  I have started a blog before but have never gotten further than the initial blog post.  Today's post will be my thoughts on using a blog for a learning tool.  Keep in mind that my students are first, second and third graders in a blended learning and multi-age classroom.  I believe that blogs are a reflection of the blogger's individual and unique perspective.  Human perspective and ideals change with surroundings and situations.  It is because of these constant, and often personal, changes that I feel blogs are not good teaching tools;  but perhaps make excellent tools for reflective and personal learning experiences.  As a teacher, and active community member, the benefits of blogging include: immediate feedback, adaptability, establish expertise, build writing and self expression skills, and help others.  The number one reason I would use blogging in my professional life would be to communicate with my student's parents and school community.  It has been noted that educational blogs and student blogging can increase student motivation and knowledge acquisition.  However, personal thoughts and perspectives can sometimes interfere or taint the learning objective.  And in the case of my classroom, the student pedagogical implications would steer me away from using blogging as a learning tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment